Sunday, February 20, 2011

Black Swan 51/365



Magnificent cinematography with a good non-hollywoody twist. It was such an intense movie it really should have had some sort of a caveat that this movie is not for the faint hearted.

I'd say I loved the filming, the acting and the set. I can't say very much for the story line but I can see how it took Darren Aronofsky 10 years to plan this movie.

This critic from the Telegraph pretty much sums it up:  "This kind of euphoric, unstable filmmaking is a rare commodity. It’s fundamentally silly, but silliness with passion and conviction, silliness of such relentless, giddying abandon, silliness so fervently played out that it approaches a barmy transcendence."

My first memory of Swan lake was in the form of a VHS cartoon. It was quite a dark story to watch as a child but I'd say it is a ballet that I'd love to watch on stage one day. ROH -- please bring it back soon!

No comments: